Monday 27 October 2014

Bicycle Ergometer Test

Today it was time to try bicycle ergometer test for the first time of my life. I have always had very high maximum heart rate and have always been a bit worried that do I run my basic exercises with right heart rates. Couple of weeks ago I saw advertisement of the test on Facebook page of the gym nearhood where the equipment was hired and I decided to use the opportunity to try it.

At first I had to fill in  the initial information sheet and convince that I'm in good condition to do the test. Then my heart pressure was measured and then I get permission to jump on the bicycle. The test lasts for 10 to 20 minutes depending how good shape you are. First I warmed up couple of minutes and when it was time to start the test my heart rate was already over 130. The resistance was added every 2 minutes and the heart rate was measured all the time. It was weird that it didn't feel that bad as I thought before because it was only my legs that did the work. So even if I ended the test with maximum heart rate of 199 it didn't feel as bad as burned or mountain climbing I do with my whole body during the home training sessions.

In the end I got detailed information about my condition and heart rate levels. My VO2max value is 34 which is average condition level of the ladies of my age. I got advice to do my basic exercises with 129-149 heart rate. This far I have run with 120-140, or preferably under 130 so even if my basic condition is still bad, I could, at least in theory, add my tempo a bit. And my exercises could contain intervals where my heart rate is between 159-179.

I recommend the ergometer tests to anyone who is concerned of the own heart rate and wants to know own personal heart rate levels. Hopefully, I have change to try the test again sometimes next year to check my progress especially with the low heart rates.

Sportterfly

PS. PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO LEAVE COMMENTS EITHER IN ENGLISH, FINNISH OR SWEDISH!

No comments:

Post a Comment